The Memorial Day Committee is pleased to announce its plans for the annual Memorial Day Parade and Services. The parade will be held this year on Saturday, May 27, 2017, and will kick off at 9 a.m. If you or an organization you are a member of would like to participate in this year's parade contact us today.
The information on this web site highlights the day's activities being planned which includes the ceremonies held following the parade.
The committee is looking for a few volunteers this year to help during the parade. If you would like to volunteer at the parade, please contact us at email@example.com or feel free to call the Parks and Recreation Department at (860) 721-2890.
- The Parade Committee is once again requesting financial contributions for the parade activities this year. We need your support! Any contribution will be deeply appreciated. Information can be obtained from and contributions made to:
- Town of Wethersfield - Memorial Day Parade
- c/o Parks and Recreation Department
- 505 Silas Deane Highway
- Wethersfield, CT 06109
The Memorial Day Committee would like to encourage all residents, spectators and residents living along the parade route to demonstrate their support for the veterans and our country by displaying the American Flag during the parade.
Larry Spellacy, Chairman
Wethersfield Memorial Day Committee 2017
Pictured from left to right, seated front row Lee Sekas; second row Salvatore Cucia and Dan Camillieri; back row Councilor Anthony Spinella, Lt. Donald Crabtree, Chair Larry Spellacy, John Console, James Clynch and State Representative Russell Morin. Also on the committee but missing from the photo are Board of Education member John Cascio, Councilor Amy Bello, Councilor Donna Hemmann, State Representative Paul Doyle, State Senator John Fonfara, Rick Newell, Deputy Fire Chief Brian Schroll, and Kenneth Sokolowski.
For more information about the parade e-mail the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to contact Larry Spellacy at (860) 529-7135.
Sponsorship / Support
The Memorial Day Parade Committee would like to thank the Wethersfield business community, organizations and volunteers who have given their support and who are helping to make this year's event memorable. If you would like to consider the sponsorship of a band or helping us in any manner, please contact the parade committee at email@example.com.
Memorial Day Ceremonies
At the conclusion of the parade, a Memorial Day Ceremony will be held at the Village Cemetery on Marsh Street. Guest speakers and parade guests commemorate the day.
Memorial Day Address Speaker
To be announced.
To be announced.
Every year children in 8th grade at the Silas Deane Middle School are asked to write and to write an essay on "What Does Memorial Day Mean To You?" The winning essay will be read at the ceremony at the cemetery at the end of the parade.
The Winning Essay
To be announced.
Information for Marchers
All marchers are reminded to begin arriving at the line of march beginning at 8:15 a.m. Marchers will be lined up on the grassy area between the DMV and the Solomon Welles House. Vehicles and floats will be lined up in the DMV parking lot and on State Street. Beginning at 8:30 a.m. only parade traffic will be allowed from Hartford Avenue to State Street. Shortly before the parade is to begin traffic will be closed off on State Street from both directions and access to the line of march by vehicle will be prohibited.
Parking at the Department of Motor Vehicles will be for those marching only. Those who are simply dropping off individuals who are marching are asked to drop individuals off and then proceed to exit. Buses and trailers will be directed to the rear parking lot of the DMV.
The line of march is posted below. It is subject to change.
At the conclusion of the parade, all participants are invited to the ceremony at the Village Cemetery on Marsh Street.
Line of March
To be announced.
The parade will step off at 9 a.m. and will head west on State Street to Nott Street then to Garden Street. It will then proceed down Garden Street, left onto Church Street and then right onto Main Street. The parade will continue on Main Street, then take a left back onto Garden Street to Broad Street. The Reviewing Stand will be on the Broad Street Green. We will then proceed north on Broad Street and cross Marsh Street to the Village Cemetery (behind First Church) for the cemetery services.
Parking for spectators will be available throughout the parade route. Spectators may also park on any residential street not marked by "no parking" signs. Parking for marchers will be available at the Department of Motor Vehicle on State Street rear lot. The rear parking lot of the DMV will also be available for buses to park during the parade.
Below is a list of street closings and approximate times they will be closed. (All times listed below are approximate.)
- State Street (entire length) — 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Nott Street (from Garden Street to State Street) — 9:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Garden Street (from Nott Street to Church Street) — 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Church Street (from Garden Street to Main Street) — 9:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Main Street (from Church Street to Garden Street) — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Garden Street (from Main Street to Broad Street) — 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Broad Street (west side, from Garden Street north to Marsh Street) — 9:45 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Marsh Street (from Main Street to Broad Street) — 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
In addition, the following streets will be posted with temporary "No Parking" signs:
- State Street: From Hartford Avenue to the west driveway of DMV — both sides
- Nott Street: Around monument island at Hartford Avenue and Nott Street; from Hartford Avenue to Garden Street — both sides
- Garden Street: From Nott Street to Church Street — both sides
- Church Street: From Garden Street to Main Street — both sides
- Garden Street: From Main Street to Broad Street — both sides
- Broad Street: From Garden Street to Marsh Street — both sides
- Nott Street/State Street intersection
- Nott Street: Between State Street and Garden — both sides
- Main Street: From Church Street to Garden Street — both sides (Saturday morning only)
In the event of inclement weather, the ceremonies will be moved indoors to the Wethersfield High School Auditorium, 411 Wolcott Hill Road, and will begin at 9 a.m. The latest parade information will be announced on WTIC radio station after 8 a.m. and on the Parks and Recreation Department program information line at (860) 721-2890. Information about postponement will be announced on WTIC-FM (96.5) after 8 a.m. and on the Wethersfield Parks & Recreation Information Line at (860) 721-2890. An announcement will also be posted in the announcements area of the home page of the town web site.